The best headlamp makes a world of difference in the level of enjoyment you will have while hiking in the starlight or wandering through an underground cavern for the first time. Likewise, investing in an inferior light will still the joy of your nighttime outdoor adventures. Don’t rob yourself of a good time by having to wonder when your headlamp is going to die constantly. Invest in one of the best headlamps.
If you’re into running, camping, spelunking, or other activities that require a light, you should make the most well-informed purchasing decision possible. When relying on a headlamp for safety reasons, such as running at night or exploring the depths of a cave, there is no room for faulty equipment. Purchasing second rate headlamps may result in an injury to you or a loved one.
The first electric headlamps appeared during the infancy of the automotive industry in the late 1800s and early 1900s. By 1914, Thomas Edison created one of the first personal headlamp models for people. Edison developed it for the coal mining industry. Each light came with a battery with enough energy to power the light for the whole 12-hour shift. These lights were two to five total lumens.
Over the past century, the technology, as well as demand, for personal headlamps has grown tremendously. Modern headlamps are typically powered by AA, AAA, or built-in rechargeable batteries. The headlamp is affixed to the head by an adjustable band or helmet. Many state-of-the-art headlamps also attach to belts, backpacks, and more. Headlamps today are also much brighter than their early 20th century counterparts, producing anywhere from several hundred to several thousand lumens.
Today, a variety of outdoor activities require the use of a personal headlight such as spelunking, night hiking, fishing, and running. Also, you can forget about relying on candles and flashlight the next time the power goes out. Just strap on your trusty headlamp, and you’ll hardly notice the lights are out.
What to Look for in a Headlamp
Regardless of the reasons you’re interested in buying a headlamp, there are several crucial considerations to make before making a purchase. Here are a few of the main things to look for in a headlamp.
Most modern headlamps come with adjustable bands that allow the light to attach to your head. However, there are also hat-model headlamps available. If you’re into spelunking or work construction, you may want to consider a headlamp with the added protection of a helmet. If not, you’ll more than likely be just fine with a band.
The type of light, as well as the power of the light, is one of the most significant aspects to consider before buying a headlamp. Depending on what you’ll be using the headlight for, this factor may be more or less crucial. Most headlamps currently on the market consist of LED lights anywhere from 500 lumens to several thousand lumens.
The actual housing which protects your light is another critical aspect to consider. Will you be using your light in the rain or snow? If so, you’ll want to invest in a waterproof, or at least weather resistant, housing.
Most headlamps today come with at least two or three primary functions including, low light, normal light, and bright light settings. However, many headlamps take functionality to the next level and include additional settings including different colors, frequencies, and patterns of flashing lights. If you plan on running at night, purchasing a headlamp capable of flashing red lights will increase your visibility to cars passing by.
How We Reviewed
We conducted some heavy duty research to bring you the most up-to-date and accurate list of best headlamps for hiking, camping, running, caving, and more. We searched forums, review sites, product descriptions from manufacturers and retailers alike, as well as customer reviews and complaints. What we discovered is 10 of the best headlamps on the market.
The Top Headlamps
Here are top 10 headlamps. You’ll find product summaries, ratings, price ranges, and the available warranty options for each headlamp on the list.
- 【Extra 1 Usb Charge AA Battery 】- In addition to 1 AA Energizer battery, this also comes with our Blackube AA...
- 【Super Bright & 7 Lighting Modes】-With USA MADE CREE XPG2 R4 LED,Easy to...
- 【Lightweight & Compact】 - Only 2.3 Oz(including batteries),You will not even notice that you are wearing it,Compact...
The first item featured on our list is a rechargeable light from Blackube. Powered by a rechargeable battery with a 1000-cycle lifespan, the LED light has seven lighting modes and a beam that shines up to 250 feet. It’s also waterproof, with a rating of IPX6, and is fully functional in the rain, sleet, snow, and high humidity. The purchase includes one headlamp, one battery, one USB cable, one storage bag, and an owner’s manual.
- 1YEAR WARRANTY, KEEP DARK AWAY – Great gear/backup for your home,car or boat or during blackouts caused by...
- AAA / RECHARGEABLE 3.7V BATTERY AVAILABLE - Support 3XAAA for emergency supply or 1X 3.7V big battery. Included...
- EXTREME BRIGHT, ZOOM FUNCTION,4 LIGHT SWITCH MODES - Normal brightness mode(1 LED light up), power saving mode (2 small...
This zoomable LED light comes with two small LED back-ups, a 26-inch band, and a rechargeable Li-ion battery that lasts for hours. In addition to the main battery, the headlight uses three AAA batteries to power it. The primary light swivels up to 90 degrees. There are four modes to choose from: normal brightness, power saving mode, high brightness mode, and strobe light mode. It also comes with a red light for the back of your head, perfect for hiking or biking at night. It’s a perfect light for any outdoor nighttime activity, as well as for keeping in an emergency kit at home.
This lightweight LED light is rated IPX5-level waterproof. The light comes with several modes, including one-light, full, strobe, and zoom settings. It has one main light that rotates up to 90 degrees, two side lights, and is powered by two rechargeable lithium batteries. The incredible battery life per charge on this light provides six hours of non-stop light. A heavy-duty strap attaches the light to the head. The light has a beam distance of over 650 feet. This high lumen headlight is a great safety tool for night trekkers of all types.
- One Quad Power LED and one Double Power white LED emit 350 lumens
- Red, green and blue Single Power LEDs for night vision have dimming and strobe settings and activate without cycling...
- Power Tap Technology allows instant transitioning between full and dimmed power
The Black Diamon Storm Headlamp is capable of 350 lumens. The light produces red, blue, green, and white light LED modes for night vision. There are several simple settings available for brightness level and strobe effects with the headlight’s easy to use Power Tap Technology. Advanced settings include distance, full strength, and night-vision. There is also a mode lock function. The light is also dustproof and waterproof, making it perfect for even the most extreme outdoors environment and activities.
- SUPER BRIGHT: Adopt cree XM-L T6 800lm led light,the beam distance is up to 20+ feet when it is on the brightest...
- 3 LIGHTING MODES: 3 levels of white light brightness,high/ low/ strobe,also include zoomable function so that you can...
- LIGHTWEIGHT and WATERPROOF: Weighing only 7.3oz and with its easily adjustable, elastic headband, ip50 waterproof,the...
CrazyFire’s LED Headlamp is extremely bright, producing 800 lumens up to 20 feet. There are three lighting modes, high, low, and strobe. A zoom function is also available on this light. It’s waterproof and lightweight too, which is great for backpackers, runners, and spelunkers. The LED is adjustable up to 90 degrees. It’s powered by three AA batteries. In addition to hikers, campers, runners, and spelunkers, this LED light is great for repairers, mechanics, and nighttime readers as well.
- Super bright led headlamp and Hands-free : Why waste your time and money fiddling with flashlights and buying extra...
- 3 mode of flashlight headlamp :High/Low/Strobe, you can choose the suitable light mode and it can use as headlamp ,Waist...
- Adjustable(90 degree) light headlamp and elastic headband, conveniently putting on or taking off.
The 1800-lumens zoomable three-mode super bright LED headlamp from GRDE has an incredible lifespan of 100,000 hours. It comes with two long-lasting rechargeable batteries, a USB cable, two charges, and a user’s manual. It’s a headlamp, waist lamp, and desk lamp all in one. Primary features include a zoom function, hands-free operation, adjustability, high durability, and three light modes.
- Settings include full strength in proximity and distance modes, dimming, strobe, red night-vision and lock mode
- PowerTap Technology allows instant transitioning between full and dimmed power
- Brightness Memory allows you to turn the light on and off at a chosen brightness without reverting back to full power
The second Black Diamond Headlamp to appear on our list is the BD Spotlight. Lit by powerful LED lights, this headlight is capable of up to 300 lumens. It has several settings including strobe, dimming, full strength, night-vision, lock, and distance modes. Power Tap Technology allows for simple one-tap controls for switching between dimmed lights and full spectrum. The Brightness Memory features allow you to flip back to pre-set levels of brightness without cycling through all available settings. The light is also rated IPX8 waterproof.
This headlight is available for purchase through Amazon.
- ▶【BINWO SUPER HEADLAMP 1800 LUMEN】This LED headlamp casting up to 1800 lumen CREE LED light with over 1600 feet...
- ▶【COMFORTABLE HEAD LIGHT FOR YOUR HEAD】Special custom sweat-proof headband for maximum comfort, very lightweight....
- ▶【XTREME BRIGHT HEADLAMPS WITH 4 MODES SETTING】This SUPER BRIGHT hands free headlamp features 4 cool WHITE modes...
The Flagship-X CREE LED light runs on three full watts of energy and is capable of emitting 160 lumens. It is preset with five different lighting modes and is operated via a two-button design. The various modes include MAX, dim, strobe, red, and red strobe. The headlight is tiltable up to 60 degrees. It also has a waterproof rating of IPX6. It's lightweight, weighing only 2.5 ounces.
You can find this light on Amazon. The Flagship-X headlight comes with a one-year limited warranty as well as a 30-day risk-free return guarantee.
No products found.
No products found.
This reliable fan favorite is fully waterproof and is capable of up to 6000 lumens. It comes with several modes including low, focused, wide, high, emergency strobe, and more. Designed for optimal hands-free operation, the light has a built-in rechargeable battery powers the lamp. An adjustable strap allows the light to be worn by practically anyone, regardless of age. This LED light is perfect for just about any outdoor activity you can imagine, no matter how wet you may get.
- SUPER BRIGHT CREE-3W LED TECHNOLOGY (165 feet beam) - wide variety of white & red light modes + 45° tiltable body makes...
- WATERPROOF AND DURABLE – why equip yourself with anything but the best and most reliable headlamp? MX20 is built to...
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND COMFORTABLE – you won't even notice wearing it. Weighing only 3.2 ounces (with batteries) with easily...
The final item on our list is the 3W CREE LED headlight from Foxelli. This light comes with a diverse range of red and white light modes, a built-in strobe, and a body tiltable up to 90 degrees. The light is highly durable, including a waterproof rating of IPX5. Don’t worry about a bit of splashing with the Foxelli headlight. It’s also lightweight, weighing only 3.2 ounces including battery weight. The light runs on AAA batteries, which can last up to a whopping 45 hours.
The Foxelli headlight comes with a complete lifetime warranty as well as a 100 percent satisfaction or your money-back guarantee.
Conclusion - Best Headlamp
Our pick for the best headlamp goes to the COSOOS Extreme Bright Headlamp. Not only is it loaded with various functions and modes, but it also comes with a built-in rechargeable lithium battery and a one-year warranty. This powerful light is perfect for everything from fishing, hunting, and hiking, to spelunking and dealing with power outages at home.
Have you recently purchased a headlamp from our list, or perhaps one that you feel would have been a good candidate? We’d love to hear all about it in the comments section below!