Solar panels are a great way to charge your electronic devices when on the move, hiking or camping or a living off-grid on a boat or in an isolated wooden cabin. Increasingly portable, solar panels are integrated with batteries to make small solar banks which can continue to charge your equipment after the sun goes down, or fitted with converters with USB ports for direct charging of all your electronic devices or into a solar generator. This article will focus on the best portable solutions for your energy needs.
Key Factors to Consider before Making a Purchase
- Capacity; how much electrical charge can your solar panel can generate
It is important to determine how much energy you will need, and for what purpose before making make a decision. The higher the capacity, the more energy the device will hold. We recommend a minimum of 15000mAh capacity as that will fully charge one regular smartphone once. The weight is a significant factor, especially for hikers and the quality of the solar panels will determine the amount of time it will take to achieve a full charge. Regular solar power banks range from charging at 22% efficiency, but this can increase to 40% for higher quality products. Most portable solar chargers are water-resistant, but not all are waterproof, however,some include rubber caps to cover USB ports for added protection. Most portable solar banks are made of a strong, rugged design, ideal for use when hiking or camping.
1. What Is a Solar Panel?
Solar panels are panels designed to absorb the suns rays and convert sunlight into electrical energy which can then be used to charge electrical devices or stored in batteries.
2. What Does a Solar Panel Do?
Solar panels can charge your mobile phone while you are outside and on the move, completely free of charge, giving you complete peace of mind as you will never run out of energy. Some portable solar banks also come with other features such as LED flashlights and often offer two or more USB ports so that you can charge more than one device at the same time.
3. How Does a Solar Panel Work?
Solar panels operate by utilizing two lenses which focus sunlight into a beam which charges the batteries or electronic device.
4. Where Can You Buy Them?
They can be purchased at a range of outlets including Amazon, eBay and camping stores.
The following products were reviewed based on the following parameters:Features, Pros & Cons, Price, Where to Buy, and Warranty. Research was conducted through a review of material available on many trusted websites, and consumer feedback on sites such as Amazon.
What We Reviewed
- Teryei Portable Solar Power Bank
- Portable Solar Charger by BEARTWO
- CXLiy Portable Charger Power Bank Solar Charger
- Cobra Electronics CPP 300 SP Dual Panel Solar USB Charger
- Anker PowerPort Solar 2 Ports 21W Dual USB Solar Charger for iPhone 7
- Solar Charger with Strong LED Flashlight by URWILL
- Soluser 25000mAh Portale Solar Power Bank
- Hobest Portable Charger with Dual Output Type C & Micro USB
- Friengood Solar Charger
- ALLPOWERS 10000mAh Solar Charger
- Endless Charging Under the Sun: Portable battery pack charges whenever it's sunny thanks to the wide solar panel
- Fast Recharging from Outlet or Solar: Dual DC 5V/2A and solar power inputs allow you to recharge no matter where you...
- Mega 15000mAh Capacity: Charges an iPhone 7 for 4.2 times, an iPhone 7 Plus for 3 times, and the Galaxy S8 for 2.8 times
Key Features of this product include a 15000mAh capacity which can be fully charged via the micro USB cable included, in around 7 hours. It will take a full week to charge completely via solar power. It is waterproof and dustproof and features a compass and a metal hook for easy attachment to backpacks and coats. Lights indicate the amount of charge in the battery, with all four blue lights on indicating that it is fully charged.
- 【Compact & Portable Design】- One of the smallest and lightest solar charger on the market(only weighs7.4oz). Extra...
- 【Dual-USB Output】- Charge 2 devices simultaneously with max output up to 5V/2.1A, deliver fast charge. Only takes...
- 【IP67 Waterproof】- Every USB port or micro USB port is covered by rubber cap, better protect battery from water;...
One of the lightest, and smallest, portable solar chargers, weighing only 187g, this device is ideal for hikers. It is durable and water resistant and made out of silicone and PC material. Its additional features include a mini flashlight with an SOS and flashing light mode and it has dual-USB ports. It is quick to charge via cable, taking only 4-5 hours, so it is a great little device for emergency back-up if you are going hiking for a few days, and charge it up before you leave.
- 【Large Capacity Power Bank】 25000mAh large capacity could charge your smartphone about 5 times and iPad air about 3...
- 【Solar Charger For Outside Emergency】The solar panel could absorb light and transfer it into electricity, but it is...
- 【Multiple Flashlights Of Battery Pack】Bright LED flashlight will be very helpful in outside at night. SOS lights...
This portable solar charger has a capacity of 25000mAH and three ports. A smart LED display indicates the level of battery charge available. It has blue LED lights that indicate battery power, and also a double flashlight. It is made of a strong waterproof design.
- 2.1 Amp rapid charging to quickly charge your cell phone, smartphone, tablet and other mobile devices
- Dual high efficiency solar panels for rapid charging times
- Rechargeable via USB or Solar Panels for maximum recharging versatility
The Key Features of this product include a dual-panel design which increases the total surface available for solar charging making it faster than single panel chargers. Fully charging from solar power takes from 8-12 hours. It has a capacity of 6,000mAH, and an LCD Display which shows the battery level.
- The Anker Advantage: Join the 10 million+ powered by our leading technology.
- Fast Charging Technology: PowerIQ delivers the fastest possible charge up to 2.1 amps under direct sunlight. 15W...
- Incredibly Durable: Industrial-strength PET polymer faced solar panels sewn into a rugged polyester canvas offer...
Key Features of this product include three panels instead of one. Although this solar charger does not include a battery, it is one of the most efficient in converting solar energy. Anker PowerPort is foldable and lightweight, with hooks to enable easy attachment to your backpack. It can directly charge your devices while the sun is shining, via two USB ports or it will charge a separate power bank. It has 21.5-23.5% efficient solar panels, and with three of them, you will be able to charge your devices faster, with some reporting this charger to be as fast as a wall socket in full sunlight.
- Portable Solar Charger: 10000mAh solar phone charger provide your devices with enough power supply when you are camping,...
- 2 USB Charging Port: Built-in DC5V/1A DC5V/2.1A USB outputs allow you to fast charge two digital devices simultaneously,...
- User-Friendly Design: IP65 Water-resistant, Shock-resistant, Dust-proof is designed for your higher requirements for...
Key Features of this product include a dual USB port and built-in 52 LED Flashlight. At a capacity of 1000mAh, it will charge a small smartphone 2.5 times, and is also water resistant, with multiple circuit protection, which prevents overheating and overcharging. 330 g in weight, it is easy to carry on your bacpack.
- NEWEST Wireless Solar Charger Power Bank: More than portable solar power bank but wireless phone charger as well...
- 3 High-Efficiency Solar Panels & Dual Output: Solar power bank it's up to 1A input under the direct sunlight, which is...
- Special Design for Outdoor Enthusiasts: Built-in 6 LED Indicators & LED Light, With 3 modes (Steady light /SOS /Strobe)...
Key Features of this product include the capacity to charge a smartphonee 5-6 times once fully charged. Incredibly durable it is water resistant, and relatively fast to charge via solar power, taking 2-3 days to achieve a full charge. It has a dual-USB port so can charge two devices simultaneously.
- Two Charging Methods: 5V/2A Max Input via the outlet which will help save half time than most other silimar power banks;...
- Great Capacity with 10000mAh: supports about 2 recharges for your Galaxy S6;Dual USB Output: with 2 5V/2A Max output...
- Compact and Durable Design: lightweight with hanger, easy to hang on your backpack for outdoors;...
Key Features of this product include an incredible capacity of 135000mAH and a type C and micro USB Dual input port. It has a lightweight design, with a hanger. This charger includes an extra compass and four blue light indicators which displaythe amount of charge in the battery. There is also a build in LED Flashlight for emergency lighting and it's water-resistant, dustproof and shockproof.
- 25000MAH HIGH CAPACITY - Never worrying about running out of power. Built-in 25000mAh rechargeable Li-polymer battery...
- DUAL USB OUTPUT PORTS - Can fast charge two devices simultaneously. wide compatibIlity，It is compatible with most 5V...
- LED FLASHLIGHT & SOS FUNCTION - Powerful LED light can be used as a torch or emergency lighting in darkness. The...
Key Features of this product include dual ports, 25000 mAH capacity, and 4 LED lights which show the amount of charge in your battery. This charger is lightweight and durable with a hook for easy attachment to your backpack.
- 3-in-One: Dual USB port(5V/2.4A per port) with iSolar Technology for charging your 5V powered gadgets, and 18V DC...
- High Efficiency: 100W SunPower solar cell is made from US, up to 23.5% efficiency, providing endless joice for laptop...
- Slim and Powerful: 1/3 lighter than the same power of solar slicon. The total power increased by 1/3 in compare with the...
Key Features of this product include multiple ouput options, which mean that you can not only charge your smartphone via its USB port but also you laptop (18V) or attach the solar panel charger to your 12V car battery. It operates on 23.5% solar conversion efficiency rate, and it comes with a range of connectors. It will fully charge in 15 hours of full sun, or in eight hours via a normal 1A input. The Connectors and DC cable, carabiners, cigarette lighter plug, clip line, and instruction manual are all included in the price.
For an efficient, lightweight back-up device for a short weekend hiking trip, or similar, the Portable Solar Charger by BEARTWO
is the best option. If you require something that can provide an efficient and reliable energy source for daily use, the sturdy fold-up solar panels of the ANKER POWERPORT SOLAR 2, coupled with a separate battery or a solar bank is an economical and efficient option.